Here are the simple steps you need to take to get your collection to us safely and cost effectively.
- Go to your local post office and pick up what they call a Priority Mail Flat Rate Box. They come in various sizes and are free.
- Go to your local office supply store (ie. Staples, Office Depot, etc.) and purchase some paper tape with nylon strands running through it. Typically it is brown in color. Please be sure that it is a paper tape and not plastic. This step is important because in order for your package to be sent Registered mail the post office will require the paper tape as they will put their postmark stamp all over the box where the tape meets the box to make it evident if the box has been tampered with during shipping. If you don’t have a paper tape they will not send it Registered.
- Pack your box very tightly. Be sure that there is no space in the box for anything to slide around. After the box is sealed you should be able to shake that box upside down and hear nothing moving around inside.
- Include your name, address and phone number in the box.
- Cover the whole box with the paper tape except leave the words Flat-Rate Box showing on the outside so that the post office will charge you correctly for shipping.
- Address your box using the exact address listed below under my name. Please do not write the word “Coins” on the outside of the box.
- When you arrive at the post office inform the clerk that you want to send your package via registered mail with insurance. Do not be confused by the fact that you are using a Priority Mail box and do not let the clerk just charge you for insurance on Priority Mail. When being sent by registered mail the clerk will put a red sticker on the box with a bar code and tracking number. Be sure this happens before you leave the box with the clerk.
- Insurance – If you feel that the value of the contents of your box is at least $3,000 but not more than $25,000 then you can insure it for just $3,000 and our private insurance will pick up the next $22,000 for a total of $25,000 per box. PLEASE NOTE – You will not have any coverage from our insurance carrier unless you have followed ALL of the steps listed above especially regarding the tape. If these instructions have not been carried out we accept no responsibility for lost or stolen items sent to us.
- Transit Time – In most cases the clerk will tell you that your box will reach its destination in 2-3 business days. This is not typically accurate with regard to registered mail. They are trained to tell you it will be there in that amount of time based on just being Priority Mail. Registered mail typically takes as much as two weeks to get where it’s going although most make it in about a week.
- When you return home please email us the tracking number for your box and we will keep an eye on it as it goes through the postal system.
Address your box as follows:
PO Box 98
Williamsville NY 14231-0098